Saturday, June 16, 2012

Dragon Children in Tulikup

Eka and I were going every day to Tulikup. It takes about 30' with scooter to get there from Ubud.
 
My first day teaching children in Tulikup wasn't any good.
I did many workshops in different environments for children and young adults in last 4 years, covering wide range of topics (such as puberty, HIV/AIDS, reproductive health, emotions, hygiene, smoking, alcohol, drugs, etc.), so I kind of consider myself experienced. Also, I can work perfectly good on both English and Croatian. So, I never thought this could be any different. I was wrong.

I found out that the Dragon Kids are amazingly curious, but not that good with English, so I couldn't give them my classic workshop. So, I became an 'English teacher' for them.
Also, that the age isn't important when you are a dragon, so they came in range from 7 to 16. And few chickens also came, not really sure about their age or understanding of English.

As I had no idea how to teach English, my first day was more or less- hopelessly looking at Eka every few minutes and LOTS of improvisation.
The only highlight of the day was the end of it, not because the workshop was finished, but because we played a game (and I know good games!) This Is How We Ride a Pony, so we danced and we sang and flew away. This became a ritual, so everyday at the end we played a new game.


The other days were absolutely perfect from the beginning to the end.
I took few hours every day to prepare for the English class, it was a bit challenging, but I loved every second of it.               

 Some of the topics we've learned are Nature (Animals, Plants, Bacterium and Fungi), Sports, Meals, Family, Hygiene, Fruits, Vegetables etc. 
 

 My name is, I'm _ years old and my hobby is _.
All of the boys said football :) Some of them watch Euro2012, and what surprised me- can name some of the Croatian players.
Girls said dancing and swimming :) I have no idea where do they swim, forgot to ask. 



 What I absolutely love about the Dragon Kids is that they are so willing to learn. When I ask something I get all of their little hands high in the air saying 'Pick me! Pick me! I know the answer!' And their memory is admirable.


Everyday I had extra classes with some of the older children. With them I covered reproductive health topics and puberty.
Their English is better, but sometimes I still needed Eka to translate.



Friday was my last day in Tulikup, so after the lesson, they had written exam.





 In my class it is allowed to cheat :) We just want them to practice as much as possible.





No comments:

Post a Comment