Saturday, June 30, 2012

No Time for Love, Time is Money


I love and hate this picture in the same time. It scares me on so many different levels.

Besides my work with Bali Children's Project, I'm also occasionally volunteering as an observer in one very nice clinic in Denpasar. As I'm finishing my med school in Croatia, I'm very happy to be given that opportunity.

The other day we received a call about a man who felt bad from that early morning. We went to see him to his house. His condition was very worrying. I won't go into medical explanation, but he was supposed to go to the hospital immediately.
There was a sign on the wall behind him: No time for love, time is money.
In this case, it turned out to be true.
The family signed the papers that they won't send him to hospital and my friend doctor explained me that they just can't afford it, like so many other people on Bali. We left without doing anything.

I just keep thinking and thinking about it.
I feel so blessed to live in a country where something like that doesn't happen (or if it does, it is an exception).
We live in a world with so many opportunities, a world that can resolve so many problems and do what might seem impossible. But then we made it unreachable.

People are about to break the impossible boundaries in the Olympics in London. My children (I call them all children, but some are already young adults) whom I teach, they never HEARD of neither Olympics or London. In almost 3 weeks I never met one single child that knows what are Olympics, can recognize the flag, anything. Like it doesn't even exist in their world. This trumendous achievements- and here, it is like it never happened. You broke the record? They don't even know you've tried. In this place- it's nothing.
I'm trying to imagine that, it would be like there is some country on this planet where people go to Jupiter regularly, maybe for summer holidays, and I have no idea that it is even happening. This is just such a disturbing thought for me. Knowledge is everything. One man, that used to be close to me, told me many times- they can take everything away from you, they can take your country, your money, your leg or even your dignity. But they can never as long as you live take away your knowledge.

And us, on the right side of the grass, do we forget how lucky we are to even have a chance to use these opportunities? Are we pushing ourselves to brake the boundaries and to KNOW?

If you are one of the priviledged ones, please share your knowledge. I live my whole life strongly believing in the power of knowledge. I have deep respect for modest, not selfish knowledge. It changes the world. It brakes the boundaries.

Make time for love, because it is not true- time is not money, at the end- time is love.

No comments:

Post a Comment